Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para ofrecer un correcto funcionamiento y una navegabilidad óptima.
Para más información, consulta nuestra política de cookies.

What should I do if I have been attacked?

Access the specialised domestic violence specialised services to get help 

If you are the victim of a physical attack or are in physical danger, call 1-1-2.  The operators can communicate with you in five languages – Spanish, English, French, German and Italian.

What do I need to know before I report domestic violence?

It is recommended that, if you have been a victim of domestic violence, you go a health centre and ask for an official medical listing of your injuries before you make an official complaint.

In any case, you can activate a system called DEMA (1-1-2) which is a request for assistance due to immediate danger, from a public health centre and request that someone accompany you during the medical examination, while making your official complaint and/or seeking swift court action.  At the same time you also have alternatives, if it is necessary, and can seek protective removal from the source of danger without a prior complaint being made.

It is important to gather all the evidence you can.

Where and how do I make an official complaint?

You can make an official complaint in front of a serving justice, at the offices of the Policia Nacional or the Guardia Civil, and it is important that when you present yourself you let them know this is a domestic violence matter that should be dealt with by the special teams trained to deal with such matters.  This costs you nothing. 

(If you don’t speak Spanish you will benefit from having someone with you who can translate during any official procedures)


Adeje Guardia Civil:  Calle Tagara 6-8. 38670 Adeje.  Tel: 922 710003

Policia Nacional: Local South Tenerife office: Sector Cero, Parcela C.N.P. Las Terrazas 38600. Tel: 922 789950

When you are making the official complaint it is important to bring all the evidence at your disposal and be prepared to give extensive details of the violence episodes you have suffered, or, in the case of psychological abuse, explain the times that this has taken place, and try to be as coherent and chronological as possible. 

The important thing is to request a protection order and read through the complaint/your statement before you sign it.  

Do I have the right to have a court-appointed- lawyer with me when making my official complaint?

Yes, and furthermore you should be told officially that this is your right before you make the complaint.  You can ask for a court-appointed lawyer who can help you register your official complaint and take you through the process.

What happens once I have made the complaint?

After the complaint is officially made you will get a date for an early court appearance at which your lawyer will be present.  You will not have to face your abuser.

The complaint will be judged by the justices who deal specifically with domestic violence cases and can issue a number of decisions regarding your protection. This may include:

Penal judgement: He will be banned from contacting you for a determined length of time and that can be controlled by the COMETA (GPS) system (similar to electronic tagging).

Civil judgement:  Agreed regime of visits to see children, allowing the women and children stay in the family home while paying costs (food etc.).  Generally these measures have a 30 day limit. 

If you haven’t already done so, it is important that you visit the specialised services who deal with domestic violence and you can also use ATENPRO, a system evolved by the Cruz Roja which offers telephone contact with the victim who can alert them if she is in danger.  To access this you don’t need a judicial sentence to have been passed – you are eligible having made the complaint.

You can also use the mobile all, alertcops.  If you are a victim or witness a crime you can contact them via message/chat, send photos and/or videos and will get an immediate reply.

Another useful application is Smartpanics, a mobile phone all via which you can inform the authorities if you are panicked, are in an emergency situation or need assistance. The app uses geo-location into a control centre for immediate assistance.  You can also use this to send relevant images, audios and videos.

If I am a foreigner and not from an EU country and maybe here unofficially or without papers, can I still report the abuse?

You can report the abuse with a promise of the same judicial guarantees afforded to any other woman living here in Spain, and will be offered the same protection and court options.

If the court finding is in your favour you will also be able to seek permission to live her and work her under ‘exceptional circumstances’, as a victim of domestic violence.   

In the cases of other foreign nationals who live here legally they can proceed with their official complaints with all the same rights and guarantees as a Spanish national.

C/ Grande, 1   38670, Adeje
Horario: 8:00 - 15:00 h